Why choosing a handmade soap? We all try to minimize the amount of toxins accumulated every day through our way of living, through what we drink, eat or breathe but we forget the fact that there is a huge amount of toxins that we absorb through our skin. Soap, next to detergent, is one of the most used products of our days. It is not just about solid soap, including here shower gel, shampoo, liquid soap and all the products that come from this area. Now we are talking just about the commercial soaps that are sold all over the world and about handmade soaps, made with care and which have in their structure natural ingredients. If you want to minimize those toxins it is better to start using natural cleaning and maintenance products obtained in a natural way and without any sign of substitutes. Why to say no to normal soap? There are 5 reasons which can make you quit buying normal soap:
- Many mass produced soaps has as its base palm oil. Palm oil wins the world market because has a very low price but how it is obtained is not very eco-friendly. Due to the huge demand, tropical forests are deforested legally and illegally, all over south-east of Asia. It is estimated, by the international companies, that in south- east Africa, there are deforested areas equivalent with 400 sports grounds. Among adverse effects of this deforestation there are:
— the huge release of CO2 in the atmosphere because deforestation is made by combustion
— threatening with the exterminations of an animal species such as Sumatra tiger or the orangutan
— the destruction of the natural habitat of the native populations and violation of the human right
— the destruction of a place with a very high diversity
- Commercial soaps contain fragrances and synthetic dyes. Those soaps have a very nice smell but, unfortunately, their fragrances are due to synthetic flavor and artificial dyes they have in their composition. These dyes can produce different allergic reactions such as redness, watery eyes, itchiness and burning at the level of the skin and even the dermatitis. If the smell of the soap remains more on your skin, dyes and the fragrances are even worse for the human body. It is said that 50% of the substances touching our body are absorbed by the organism ad they pass in our blood, spreading all over the body. In this category we can include Diethanolamine, Triethanolamine and Amonoethanolamine, all these substances being well recognized as substances that can make hormonal disorders. Among dangerous dyes there are Blue Aluminum Lake 1 and 2, Red 19, Zirconium Lake, Yellow 8, all of these being known as carcinogen and toxic substances. In these days, lab tests are being made in order to establish if these substances can penetrate the placenta and can affect, directly or indirectly, the new baby born.
- Commercial soaps contain dangerous chemicals. For the long term of validity of the soap, not to soften or not to deteriorate, the producers use many solid chemicals such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is a very harmful ingredient, remaining on the skin few hours after using it. The solutions are not the use of liquid soap because those soaps are cocktail chemicals with different grades of toxicity.
- Glycerin is missing from the most commercial soaps, this ingredient having the feature of absorbing water at the contact with the skin. Glycerin absorbs water from the deep layers of the skin and brings it to its surface, the epidermis being, in this case, very well hydrated. Glycerin is a secondary product of the reaction of saponification, being an expensive product. The producers of the cosmetics prefer to use it in the expensive products such as lipsticks, moisturizers. This is the reason why glycerin is replaced with some cheap and chemical substances which can give the sensation of hydration, such as alumina.
- The antibacterial soaps contain triclosan. Triclosan is a chemical product very harmful for the human body and well known as a carcinogen. Using products with a high amount of chemicals will lead to a deposit of toxins in the body fat.
As a conclusion, soaps are in fact synthetic detergents which contain petroleum substances, many carcinogens and chemical substances but the good news is that you are not forced to use them and you do not have to pay a fortune for natural or bio soaps.
The benefits of buying quality soaps with real properties:
- Natural soaps, even if they are more expensive, do not finish in one week. They are more consistent and they can be used up to a month, every day using.
- Natural soaps are moisturizing and antibacterial, the ingredients have specific properties, because the soap is produced in a “cold” way, which permit to the essential oil and to the other ingredients to preserve their qualities. But there is just one small disadvantage: the expiration date, which is shorter than the expiration date of the industrial soaps.
- Buying the suitable soap, you can solve a lot of skin problems, of the scalp, but there is a common quality for all these soaps: the skin becomes more flexible and the effects of aging appear later. The soap must be selected in an intelligent manner in order to have the expected result and to be used in different skin problems.
- Natural soaps are produced without using any quantity of parabens or substances that can affect the skin or the environment.
- It is true that natural soaps do not have a vibrant color as those soaps made with artificial dyes but these soaps can be also colored with different plants and spices, selected by the producer very carefully in order not to affect the use of the essential oils. Often, soaps produced with the “warm” method have more colorful tones.
- All handmade soaps smell as known stuff, you can identify in a second what type of fragrance your soap has and as a bonus, you can gift it to anyone as a natural object and it is always considered as a unique and original gift.
- Natural soaps can be personalized. There are many models, quantities, fragrances and colors.
- Natural soaps have a neutral PH. These soaps are suitable most of the times for babies’ skin.
- Essential oils from handmade soaps are extracted from plants, which gives them many therapeutic properties.
- Buying hand made products you can help to the development of “family businesses” and to the professional development of some people who are dedicated to do quality work and who use as materials only quality products.
Advises for buying a natural handmade soap:
- Do not buy products without a certificate of conformity and without a label containing the list of the ingredients and the term of validity. Your skin can suffer from allergies caused by different ingredients and the producer cannot assume this fact.
- Buy these products from certified sellers and check if the product is cut manually. Handmade products seem to be unfinished and the sides are not perfectly symmetrical.
- The aroma must be pleasant or to be odorless. In a situation that the soap has in its composition a plant, its fragrance must be easily recognized.
- The soap must produce a white foam or not to do foam at all, just to let a silky skin.
- The soap must be packed in an original box if it is cut in the same time of buying.
- The soap must not be used or have any signs of use.
- A small price tells about the quality of the products
- Take care that a natural handmade soap has not be tested and you are the only one who knows your skin affections.